Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Terry Horton

Default ashe juniper--they're all in on it!

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:52:01 GMT, (Babberney)
wrote:

As for the newspaper, they did finally contact me about the letter (in
the past they've been much more prompt about this). They always say
they are "considering publication," so you may or may not see my
response in a day or two. I'm feeling a bit less smug in my
counter-arguments than I was, but I still believe there are truths
that are being ignored, and I hope my letter prompts some people to
look into this further than they would have.

Looking for info on juniper litter today, found a site by our friends
over in College Station.
http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/juniper/TOC.htm

From the site is "A HOLISTIC PERSPECTIVE ON JUNIPER " by Steve Nelle.
http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/juniper/NELLE.htm. Nelle's provided
the most balanced treatment of ashe juniper I've read to date, i.e. he
agrees with me. :-)

Nelle summarizes:

"1. Juniper woodlands are the native, natural vegetation type on many
sites.

2. Juniper has invaded into other grassland and savanna sites where it
is not natural.

3. The primary cause of the invasion is overgrazing and the lack of
fire.

4. Under conditions of overgrazing, the invasion of juniper is the
natural ecological response which provides a degree of protection and
rehabilitation to the site.

5. Watershed response to juniper control can be positive or negative
depending on subsequent grazing management.

6. Where juniper control is desired, it should be preceded by a firm
commitment to proper stocking rates, regular planned rest periods and
periodic prescribed burning. Otherwise it will quickly return.

7. The use of goats or other browsers to control juniper usually has
harmful side-effects of eliminating other more desirable species."

Hope this helps.