Old 30-03-2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JB[_1_] JB[_1_] is offline

Default pond filter size question

Joe,

My opinion on pressurized filters is one based on perception and not actual
experience. (Perhaps I should have added that as a qualifier.) I do have
over 10 years experience ponding. Have build and maintained two ponds; the
first 1,000 gallons and the current 3,000. I have built my own filters using
lava rock & those blue washable air filters made for home heating & air
systems, used foam pre filters and finally ended up using the bio falls
unit(s).

To me, the pressurized units don't provide the amount of surface area of
either my home made filter or the bio falls. I perceived them as needing
more frequent cleaning and I have a co-worker with one on her pond that
confirms this. Of course, when I first explored the pressurized units, the
automatic backwash feature was not available on the units in my price range.
I currently have three 2 inch filter pads, 150 pounds of lava rock, a
laundry bag full of bio balls, more mint than I can keep up with, pennywort
and a couple of Louisiana Irises in my bio falls filter. I only clean it out
once a year, in the spring.

JB

"Joe" wrote in message

JB wrote:

I'll echo the veggie filter choice. I use a bio falls filter myself.
jan's
web site has instructions on how to build one.

I've never been a fan of the pressurized filters.

Just curious, but why?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.