Old 30-03-2008, 03:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default pond filter size question

I concur about the value of the plants and the value of a large veggie
filter setup (smaller ponds with plants). Our pond is about 12 x 22
for about 250 sq ft of surface. The 10% rule of thumb calls for 25 sq
ft of filter.. The veggie filters have 99 sq ft of surface (37% of
the pond), to which we have added significant waterfalls and two
streams. We simply never have ammonia. The plants thrive and so do
the fish. The people thrive because they have so little to do. Our
toilet valve regulates the water level, so we never have to top it
up. Think about the ease...go veggie if you can (IMHO).

Jim