Old 30-03-2008, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default My New Zealand photos.

Sacha wrote:
That's the one! A friend of mine worked as a doc. In NZ for some time with
Maori people. Friend was English and thought he should learn a few of the
local expressions and sayings to integrate better. One morning, he had an
incredibly nervous male patient and as the minutes of the examination ticked
past the patient's nerves made my friend nervous, too. He wanted to say
something cheery to reassure the poor man and knew it involved some kind of
container and some kind of animals. To his own horror and amazement he
heard himself say "No problems, mate. Bucket of fish", whereupon the
terrified patient shot off the couch and legged it as far away as possible
from this obviously deranged medic.

Interesting tale, Sacha. I wonder if there actually is an expression
"like a bucket of fish" amongst Maori!

By the way, I noticed last night there's a programme on the BBC on
Monday night which you and I may find interesting, regarding recent
revelations about Jersey.

Eddy.