Old 30-03-2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
dwight dwight is offline

Default Opinions wanted for Meditation Walk

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"dwight" wrote:

I'm a firm believer in usenet, especially for opinions. This concerns US
zone 6-7, the western suburbs of Philadelphia, PA.

snip

Along the walk, amongst the pine needles and between the rhodos, I'd like
have a few sprays of color (perennials?). We have hostas all over the
place,
that can be transplanted here, but I'd like some more - and different -
color, ideally from Spring through late Summer.

What kinds of plants can I put into this environment that will produce
colorful blooms at different times of the season? Mostly shade, only
partial
sun in late morning, early afternoon. Again, my "focus" is on
photography,
over and above the natural visual beauty...

Thanks for your advice, all!

dwight

I'd add Black Bamboo, Umbrella Pines and Japanese red tinged ferns.
While at it some Hellebores, Sweet Woodruff, Japanese hollies too.
Some water sculpture with fish would add movement. I'd add some large
rocks for stillness. Wind chimes.

Wow. You've given me a lot to think about. The total space is about 40'
long, 25' wide, so there's plenty of room there. I had thought it was a bit
more sparse than it needed to be.

Along the post-and-rail fence are some beautiful ferns (and other touches I
can't identify), and that's the only area with what I would call full
growth.

You've convinced me that I can do far more with this walk than I originally
planned. I guess I was thinking of a mountain path, more than a pure garden.
I like your suggestions. And, yes, I've got nothing but time. We plan on
being here for another, oh, 25 to 30 years (god willing).

I think I'll pass on the water features, though. We have a Lab mix, and
she'd be in there constantly, pawing at the fishes.

Thanks for the references. That rock garden may become more than I
anticipated.

dwight