Old 30-03-2008, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Pretty Lawn

On 30/3/08 15:31, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
I've seen another article, some time ago, about a man who makes patterns on
grass that has the dew on it. That really is a work of love because it's so
ephemeral.

I wonder if anyone makes a permanent pattern in lawns by
using sewing different varieties of grass seed? Just a
subtle difference in the shade of green and you have a
lasting art work. I've never seen or heard of this
anywhere. I'm a bit surprised that (historically) rich
owners of old stately gardens missed the opportunity to
have their coat of arms etc emblazoned into the grass.

Well, as everything was cut by hand with men bearing scythes and sickles and
donkeys wearing special shoes pulled the rollers, I don't think the armorial
pattern would have lasted long! Instead they put them on their gates and
pillars, and pediments and coaches and silver and cutlery and china and
furniture and writing paper. There must be something I've forgotten!
But this reminds me that when we stayed at a lovely hotel on Exmoor a couple
of weeks ago, someone had once planted the name 'Ashwick' in daffodils on a
bank beside the drive. It needs re-planting because the 'A' has disappeared
but it's a rather sweet idea.
--
Sacha