Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
B.Server

Default Synthetic Lumber. Raised beds.

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:47:22 -0600, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

Your post has sat here here for a week. Guess no one has used the stuff.
Brick - I've used the brick at home depot that are 13"X4"X4" and
interlock into each other.

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/eastgarden2.jpg

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden

It has indeed. Thanks for the pointer. I will look into them. From
what I have been able to find about synthetic lumber, it is expensive
and fairly difficult to find in sizes suitable for raised beds. (on
the order of 2x12s) It seems like the only sources in Austin are some
of the customer deck builders who use it in x6 sizes for decking but
not structural applications.

The problem that I have with brick is the need for a sound footing
which usually means more work to pour a concrete one, at least in deep
clay soils and sides 12" in height or more. It may come to that.

I noticed some brick out by Marbridge Farm that reminded me of adobe,
around 4x8x14 inches. It might be a little more resistant to outward
soil pressure.

Thanks again for the pointer.