Old 31-03-2008, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default Build your own waterfall?

On 30 Mar, 23:13, wrote:
Hi folks...

I hope I am asking this in the right group...

I am thinking of putting in a waterfall in my garden. Maybe more a
cascading stream than waterfall.
My intention is to have a head of about 1m with a fairly rapid drop
into a smallish pond.

I have two options: Buy a precast one or build my own.
Precast are rather costly for what you get and don't always look the
part.
Building your own - a challenge. Not one that I am afraid of though.
(Obviously not informed

My idea on building one is to build a steel framed box about 1m high
with a random taper ff each side.
Then to cover this with chicken wire and bend to shape. Once happy, I
can cover with some mortar and rocks.
As for the parts that will get wet, I thought of covering the concrete
with fibreglass and a layer of pebbles on top to hide the obvious.
The width of the water section will be around 500mm.

Does this sound do-able? Anyone tried this and had problems? Any
better ideas?

To get a preformed one will cost around £350 and not be exactly what I
want. My option looks like it'll come well below that. And more so, be
what I want.

Thanks for any tips / ideas.

Regards,
Crispin

I don't have an answer, but I'm taking the liberty of cross-posting to
uk.d-i-y for you, because they love this sort of thing ;-)