Old 31-03-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Build your own waterfall?

On 31 Mar, 01:15, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
On 30 Mar, 23:13, wrote:

Hi folks...

I hope I am asking this in the right group...

I am thinking of putting in a waterfall in my garden. Maybe more a
cascading stream than waterfall.
My intention is to have a head of about 1m with a fairly rapid drop
into a smallish pond.

I have two options: Buy a precast one or build my own.
Precast are rather costly for what you get and don't always look the
part.
Building your own - a challenge. Not one that I am afraid of though.
(Obviously not informed

My idea on building one is to build a steel framed box about 1m high
with a random taper ff each side.
Then to cover this with chicken wire and bend to shape. Once happy, I
can cover with some mortar and rocks.
As for the parts that will get wet, I thought of covering the concrete
with fibreglass and a layer of pebbles on top to hide the obvious.
The width of the water section will be around 500mm.

Does this sound do-able? Anyone tried this and had problems? Any
better ideas?

To get a preformed one will cost around £350 and not be exactly what I
want. My option looks like it'll come well below that. And more so, be
what I want.

Thanks for any tips / ideas.

Regards,
Crispin

I don't have an answer, but I'm taking the liberty of cross-posting to
uk.d-i-y for you, because they love this sort of thing ;-)

To make it look good you need real rocks (from a local quarry or
landscape gardening place. Build a big waterproof tray (or a preformed
unit) and arrange the whole thing in it ! Must be strong enough for
the big rocks. Or you can get a sheet of rock cut, and use this as an
"edge" for the cascade.
If pumping from a pond, don't underestimate the amount of water
"absorbed" by the waterfall constuction. When the pump is off all the
water will be in the pond, and the pond can almost run dry when the
pump is started if not large enough. There are pond-building
websites / books with rules of thumb for all this.
Simon.