Old 31-03-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Orchid Inventory

"tenman" wrote in message
Dave Gillingham wrote:
Kathy, there's another use as well as the unpleasant long term
consideration. It
helps no end in tracking repotting & other treatment needs. I also try
record *where* each plant is in my collection now. That's after
searching &
swearing, trying to find a particular plant (or many) that my database
says
should be repotted.

And, while I don't keep it all as up to date as I should, I do ensure
that each
purchase, loss, repot, and position on shelf is recorded.

For repotting, I find it far easier to sort the database by repot date
than to
work my way through the entire collection looking for the date of last
repot on
each tag.

You people need to get jobs! Having a library background, I used to be
a thorough record-keeper and very much enjoyed the process. Now I'm lucky
to find time for a rushed unenjoyable job of watering often enough to keep
the plants alive. Where do you folks find the time for this sort of thing?

Well, that was my opinion, too. As you know I rarely have time to water
either. 'Let 'em wait another week' is my motto. My life is go to work, go
home, go to work, go home. I crash on the sofa with the remote and nowadays
I'm in bed by 8:30pm. I tell you, life sucks sometimes. But my friend's
husband (not an orchid person) said that he wanted to be sure her collection
lived. He said he'd watch people walk out of shows with orchid purchases
that he *knew* were just going to die becasue no one knew how to care for
it. He doesn't want that to happen to her collection. She loved those
plants. So we're getting them appropriate homes, once we figure out what's
there. Hence the list. Hence my gratitude that my friend was meticulous.

K (the underwaterer) Barrett