Old 31-03-2008, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Wireworm in carrots

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Barry Carnell" wrote
Is there any way to prevent wireworm in carrots?

Usually a problem in newly cultivated ground (ex-grass ) which will
decline over the next few years as you cultivate. Keep turning the
soil over to expose the pest for the birds to eat.
Looking at my books they say dust the seed rows with Lindane or
Pirimiphos-methyl but I bet they are no longer available to the
amateur.

Nothing effective is available to the amateur! It can't be _safe_ and
effective, can it? :-(

You can always check he
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/prodsearch.asp

I have a feeling that dimethoate is available in some EU countries for the
amateur, but not the UK. Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)