Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,misc.rural
Just Me Just Me is offline

Default Tiller Maintenance

A neighbor garderner who is nearing his nineties gave me his old
Murray front-tine tiller (model # 2-13051A) which had lain dormant in
his garden shed for years disabled with a set of bad points in the
engine.

It's a "forward/reverse" rig powered by a 5 h.p. Briggs 4 cylce with
two drive pulleys. The tines are super heavy duty, of heavier gauge
metal than you see on any of the brands commonly available today--and
I like it a lot.

The tag on the tiller body gives Date of Manufacture as "1264" --but
if that means December of 1964 (I had to wash my glasses before I was
willing to believe it) then I should not be surprised to find it's on
its second engine, which according to the code number stamped on it,
is a 1981 model.

Now that I've got the old beast up and running just like new again,
I'm hoping there's somebody out there who is maybe around a 150 years
old (or better) who can tell me if that black cap I see on the rear of
what looks like the chain drive housing is a lubrication port. I
assume it's got a chain drive in there by looking at the shape of the
case (also of heavy gauge metal with many, many bolts) that contains
it.

In short, I have no idea of what the maintenence procedure for this
thing may be.
--
JM
http://whosenose.blogspot.com/