Old 31-03-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Linking chicken wire

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| In article ,
| says...
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| In article
| ,
| TC writes:
| |
| | I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the sides
| | and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
| | substantial.
|
| That's some chickens you have!
|
| You certainly don't need weldmesh for any chickens. 1" chicken wire is
| substantial enough.
|
| Mary and Nick, we no longer have chickens because of local dogs and foxes
| so a substantial run is not such a silly idea if only to keep things out
| rather than things in.

That argues in favour of using heavy gauge chicken wire, such as 2".
You need weldmesh only to stop wolves, hyaenas and so on :-)

At 2" you get stoats getting in easily and they can do a lot of damage.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown