Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
cat daddy

Default Barton Springs toxic

"Babberney" wrote in message
news:03DE78B448A49AC3.C9F897D8A64A17B8.DDB2D8EA2FB ...
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:36:30 -0600, "cat daddy"
wrote:

I am just sick over this. For the past five Summers, and especially

the
last two, my Labrador Caitlin and I have gone swimming almost every day

at
the spillway. I *trusted* the city's tests of the water quality and

believed
it to be the safest water around. *******s...........

Well, now, they do still say the water is still relatively clean.
They are concerned about sediment and algae that might be stirred up
and swallowed, though.

the comment about Futrell, I can't blame her if she's feeling
defensive. Clearly, this problem existed long before she took the
City's reins and yet she's getting the brunt of the flak over it.

But, she was an assistant city manager for quite some time. The 90-day
closure seems a little lengthy if the water is as safe as she says.

Most frightening to me is the thought of what must be done to remove
these contaminants--digging up the whole hillside seems the only way,
and what a blow that would be to the plant life (and resident
critters) there. Maybe when we get the full story, we'll be able to
snicker at our overreaction (crossing fingers).

I hope it's an over-reaction. I bought into the "drinking water" quality
that they reported so often......... If they dig out the hill, I bet even
more contaminants will be released into the Springs.