Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Arborvitae keep dying

As always here are some issues to be addressed when caring for trees and
associates. I would have to see the trees.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"sherwindu" wrote in message
I plant a lot of trees with good success, but I'm on my fourth Arborvitae
in
this same
spot on the west side of my house (about half day sun). Living here 20
years I
am sure there was no contamination on that spot. Just across the sidewalk
is
another
Arborvitae that has survived for several years now. Originally there were
Red
Cedars growing in these places, but I pulled them out about 8 years ago
when a
problem with Apple Cedar Rust developed. The last tree was planted last
fall
and
started browning out over the winter. It may be wind burn, but everything
around it
(grass, yew bushes, apple trees, and the other Arborvitae) are unaffected.
This

variety is supposed to be hearty, but I think they are susceptible to
damage for

their first and possibly second year after planting. Well, I am waiting
for
Menards
to get in their trees and maybe they will honor their exchange pollicy
(this
current
tree was a replacement). I want to stick with Arborvitae to balance off
the
tree on
the other side of the entrance walk and don't want to spend a bundle on a
5 foot

exotic evergreen. Any ideas on how to prevent another dead tree?

Sherwin