Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Texensis

Default what is this weed?

"marty lester" wrote in message
| hello-
|
| this is my first winter in the house i purchased in May.
| i have a St. Augustine back yard and it appears this weed is
beginning to
| take over. what the heck is it and what can i do about it?
somehow,
| i figure "get down on your hands/knees and start pulling" is going
to be the
| most popular answer, but i thought i'd ask the braintrust to see
just what
| kind of invader i'm dealing with.
|
| here's a pic:
|
| http://home.austin.rr.com/swas/ftp/weeds_1.JPG
|
| thank you very much in advance for the info/help.
|
| marty.

| Making the World a Noisier Place

Could it be purslane? It's hard to tell from the picture, but it
appears to be a fleshy creeper (how creepy sounding!). Depending on
what it really is, you may find that you don't need to do the
hands-and-knees thing. Some of the items that appear in mild winters
or in early spring have such shallow roots that a going over with a
rake will do the work. Other types, of course, just vanish when the
sun gets stronger, because they can't take the heat.