Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Texensis

Default what is this weed?

"Karen" wrote in message
| "Texensis" wrote in
| :
|

| "Karen" wrote in message
| | "Texensis" wrote in
| | :
| | Could it be purslane?
| |
| | Is purslane a weed? I had some growing in front and I rather
| | liked it. I thought the flowers were pretty.
| |
| | Karen
|
| I like a lot of things that some think are weeds. Some hanging
| baskets are filled with some sort of hybrid between the old,
| inconspicuous portulaca/moss rose and a wilder version of
| purslane--result: brighter, bigger flowers and more resistance
| to drying out--these are often sold as purslane, but they're not
| the wild version.
|
| Hm. Whatever's in the front just sprang up on its own. But it's
| under the eaves that have hooks for hanging baskets. I wonder if it
| escaped from a basket of the previous owner. Thanks for the clue!
|
| Karen

Moss roses/portulaca (the ones with the little ferny foliage) and the
cultivated, hanging-basket purslanes are related. H-E-B sold a lot of
those hanging baskets for a couple of summers a few summers ago and
then I haven't seen them since. I suspect that seeds may produce
plants that revert to the wilder version.