Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Gae Xavier

Default what is this weed?

I agree. I think it is probably chickweed.

St. Augustine goes to sleep a bit during the winter and a lot of strange "weeds"
appear sprinkled throughout. But as soon as the sun and heat hit it again in
March, it takes off like crazy and strangles everything that grew into it during
the winter. So unless you have nothing to do this winter, do not bother to weed
your yard until next spring, then if any weeds are left.

The little wild onions and rain lilies usually survive its strangle hold and look
cute with their tiny flowers, but the chickweed and others bite the dust.

animaux wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:58:45 GMT, "Texensis"
wrote:

sion.

| this is what purslane looks like:
|
| http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/porol.htm

The bottom pic is an especially good one for the weed, though it's not
great for scale.

Oh, the description gives inches, and description. I guess the bottom photo I'd
say was about 7 inches for the longest stem. The plant can get larger, even the
uncultivated form. Either way, I don't think it looks anything like what the
original poster's weed was. That weed looked like chickweed to me.