Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default dog-poop?!?!

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

. . .keeping cats indoors is also good for the health and
life expectancy of the cats, and less expensive for the cat
owners. The Humane Society of the United States was quoted
in 1992 estimating the average life expectancy of free
roaming pets to be between 3 and 5 years, while indoor cats
can commonly reach ages of 17 years or more.

Bzzzzt! bullshit alert! HSUS is a PETA front! they are NOT the
American Humane Society & they certainly DO have an anti-pet
agenda.

Then there is . . .
Aside from the obvious dangers of car fan belts and tires,
toxic plants, dogs and cruel people, there are many hidden
dangers to cats allowed outdoors. Life-threatening dangers
include:

* Diseases for which we currently do not have vaccines
for (Feline
Aids),
or vaccines that are not reliably effective
(Feline Leukemia, Feline Infectious Peritonitis).

indoor cats can also contract these diseases.

* Heartworm. Yes, it is true that a cat can get
heartworm, through
mosquito bites. Shorthairs are at higher risk than
longhairs.

my barn cats are on heartworm preventative, same as my dogs.

* Antifreeze. Its sweet taste is irresistible to cats,
and a cat who
has walked through a small pool of antifreeze and cleans
its paws has ingested a fatal dose.

this is also a threat to dogs. a dog who picks up a rag you
wiped your hands on after changing the antifreeze has also
ingested a fatal dose.

* Skin cancer. Light colored kitties (especially white)
are at risk
for skin cancer of the ears due to exposure to direct
sunlight.

same with dogs. i don't see too many people advocating that
Fido never set foot outdoors.

* Hanging/choking. Those neat little cat collars which
do not
provide breakaway or stretch releases have killed many a
cat.

cats shouldn't wear collars, but if they need to (my deaf cat
has one that says he's deaf & has my phone number) only
breakaway collars should be used. and cats can hang themselves
easier indoors than outdoors.

* Fighting among outdoor kitties not only spreads
disease, it can
result in painful abscesses which require medical attention
(an untreated abscess can kill a cat). Unaltered tom cats
are prime candidates for such fighting, not to mention they
will impregnate any and all receptive females they come
upon.

any cat that is not a breeding cat should be neutered by 6
months. they make better pets *and* better mousers.

* Toxoplasmosis. A single celled organism that cats can
ingest while
eating prey that has been exposed. Not only can it kill a
cat, it is contagious to people and can result in severe
birth defects to human babies whose mothers are exposed
during pregnancy. Wearing rubber gloves while handling
litter pan duties and gardening is highly recommended for
pregnant women. Finding another home for your cherished pet
is NOT necessary.

pregnant women are more likely to contract toxoplasmosis from
handling raw meat than from Tabby.

And lastly, there is "The Cat Fanciers' Association" which
weasels around and never gives numbers. They just say that
a cat is safer indoors than outdoors.
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/safer-indoors.html

but the CFA also promotes building your cats outdoor play
areas (at least in the magazine). hmmm.
lee

All that and not one citation? You workin' on the cheap.
Whachew tryin' to say girl? Go on an say it. I can take it like a man,
But if you make me cry, I'll get you in trouble. I'll tell Charlie;-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/