Old 03-04-2008, 05:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] itchyneebanshee@hotmail.com is offline

Default question about lawnmower blade noise

On Mar 19, 6:43*am, "Alexander SuperTramp" wrote:
wrote in message

... Hi,
I have a sears self propelled walkbehind mower. I've hit
bricks, sticks, etc, and it works fine. However I hit
a large stick the other day, and when I push down
on the handles to raise the front wheels, [to turn a corner]
it makes a loud racquet, like the blade is hitting something
slightly. Is that just a bent blade or could it be the shaft?
Is there a way to tell? *Plus do I have to get the sears
blade or will any 22" blade work?

thx

itchy

Most likely the blade is loose, or rather the bolt holding it to the shaft
is loose.
With the mower OFF, turn it on its side, have an adjustable wrench handy,
set the blade properly and tighten it down.

I found out that it was part of the steel edging, or flange/rim
underneath the mower that
had somehow gotten slightly bent. But the blade only
hit it when you raised up the front of the mower to turn a corner.
The blade and rotor were fine.
I bent it back with vice grips and now no noise. Hey I did read the
manual
and unplugged the spark plug. Btw I live near a huge amount of
pine trees and sticks and pine cones hard as bricks are everywhere. I
think a stick caught by the blade hooked the flange and pulled it
inward.
Heh.

itchy