Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mystery plant

In message , Russel Sprout
writes

"Mr X" wrote in message
Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? I have it growing in the
borders of a field at the end of my garden in south east uk every autumn.
I self seeds and seems to be an annual.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...n=view&current
=abc1.jpg

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...n=view&current
=abc.jpg

Could it be an Abelmoschus of some sort?

I doubt that an Abelmoschus would self-seed in the UK climate.

I don't recognise the plant by jizz, and the photograph isn't clear
enough to make out details - the only thing I can say for certain is
that the foliage is long-petiolate and palmately lobed - that would help
pin down the identity, but if the purple clumps are inflorescences then
it clearly isn't an Abelmoschus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://lavateraguy.blogspot.com http://www.malvaceae.info