Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default dog-poop?!?!

"Vastmasd" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:

you throw the poop under trees or hedges & let natures deconstruction crew
take care of it. Yes, some nutrients from the poop may find their way in

the water system, I have no way of knowing. The poop will have gone
through
a layer of mulch and earth on its way down however. It also takes a time
for
the poop to decompose so the plant feeding is from a nice slow fertiliser.

I tend to differ. If you have cow manure then certainly place it on your
garden, horse manure contains seeds so I would recommend first placing it
in your compost bin. If you exercise your dog their poo can contain
unforeseeably elements so it is best put in a plastic bag then placed in
your garbage bin.

I used to know a professional gardener who swore that dog poop was the best
thing to fertilise lemon trees. Not tried it myself but given the regular
advice I hear about the six-pack beer fertiliser for lemon trees and the
planting of a passionfruit on top of a cow's liver, I'm not going to
discount his advice till I have tried it.