Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] cl999@comcast.net is offline

Default broadcast spreader repair

End of last fall season I acquired a used Scotts broadcast spreader
(at the curb on trash day). The rotating mechanism is corroded and
hard to turn. Yesterday I decided it's time to work on it and see if I
can get it to working condition again. I lubed all rotating joints and
the gear. It's at the point where I think the problem is at the hopper
where the driveshaft and the plastic meet and penetrating oil can't
(or hasn't) get in there. I gave it a brief try but didn't want to
force anything. Looks like there is a rolled pin and a collar with a
set screw. I lightly punched the pin and tried to unscrew the set
screw but neither budged. Anyone even taken this thing apart?