Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Steve Coyle

Default Deer resistant plants

Howdy folks,
I'm doing a large design job for a client out in deer country,
and I'm looking for plants with red, yellow and orange , the hot end
of the spectrum that deer avoid.
I've seen a number of lists of 'deer resistant plants" but I've
also had enough feedback from customers to know that he deer don't
seem to be reading those published lists.
I'm a ghetto boy living near the squalid environs of North Loop
so I havn't had much experience working west of Mopac in deer country.
If anyone in the western part of the city in deer country knows of
plants that the deer really do avoid I'd like to hear about it.

One shrub I would like to use since the customer wants low red
foliage is red Lorapetalum. There is a bunch of them being used in the
landscaping at Central Market midtown, and the customer likes that
look but I don't know if they would stand up to the deer.

Thanks in advance for any rsponses.
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com