Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Gary Brady

Default Deer resistant plants

If anyone in the western part of the city in deer country knows of
plants that the deer really do avoid I'd like to hear about it.

In my experience, the only thing that deer don't eat is oleander and chaste
trees, both large shrubs, and only oleander gives you any reds. I'm told that
they avoid some herbs, like sage, but no direct experience there. I know they
will eat my wife's bromeliads, and these particular plants have little spines
that get into my fingers when I move them around.

The oleander is poisonous, and the chaste trees have a strong, creosote-like
smell which repels them.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX