Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Marc Stephenson

Default Deer resistant plants

It's my understanding that deer in different areas will eat different
"deer-resistant" plants, so results vary.

I live in Lost Creek, south of Westlake and east of the Barton Creek
Country Club community. Our deer avoid my rosemary, salvias (ALL types that
I've tried), yucca, red skullcap, thyme, betony, gold, most lantana (but not
purple trailing), society garlic, wall germander, mexican mint marigolds
(they're supposed to nibble on those), copper canyon daisies, dwarf yaupon,
primrose jasmine, and gulfstream nandina (I know, non-native). Though on most
deer-resistant lists, the asian jasmine which was supposed
to act as groundcover was obliterated. There are about 1000 homes in
Lost Creek, and the landscapes are dominated by lantanas
(especially gold ones), yuccas, and salvias. As mentioned before, oleanders
are also untouched.

They will eat anything which is loaded with sugars and fertilizer right
from the grower. Everything needs to be protected at first (at least
a few weeks) with your favorite stinky deer deterrent solution.

4" plants are subject to stomping and being pulled even if they don't like
to eat them. Young trees are subject to trunk damage (from antler scraping)
and must be protected until the trunks are large enough that the areas
between the points of the antlers (whatever those areas are called, sorry)
can't get around them.

My experience has basically matched the information that I've seen at this site:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...ions/deer.html
and I also found these sites helpful:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~jleblanc/deerplants.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../deerbest.html

--
Marc Stephenson IBM Server Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189