Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default OT Camera advice please?

Wolf K. wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

I apologise in advance for this but if anyone can advise I'd
appreciate it.

In the summer we're going on an Arctic cruise and of course I want the
best pictures I can afford. Digital camera makers seem to fall over
themselves in getting more and more sophisticated models at cheaper
prices, it's very confusing.

I wondered about having an SLR digital - I've heard about them but not
seen one, my old pro photographer boss has finally got one and is very
pleased with it but I don't think I could afford what he paid.

Has anyone here any experience or recommendations? I've used SLR
manual for nearly sixty years but do enjoy the computer-related
functions of digital and thought the combination might combine the
best of both to advantage.

But I don't know ...

Mary

I thought of getting a DSLR two years ago when we went to Europe. I
decided against it, as it's heavier than a point'n'shoot. That's not to
say that a DSLR is a bad choice. It's just that a $200+/- point'n'shoot
set at the highest resolution these days does nearly as good a job as a
DSLR. If you're going on a trip, the weight of an SLR lens can get
tiresome, as you know. The main advantage of an DSLR is that it stores
images in RAW format, which allows for more image processing than the
JPG format used by point'n'shoot cameras.

We have two Canon Sureshots, and like them. My daughter's family has
Fuji Finepix. No difference in picture quality, just a different
arrangement of controls.

Last but IMO very important: avoid any camera that requires some
funny-shaped proprietary battery. No matter how good a deal it is. AA,
AAA batteries only - they are available anywhere. My sister-on-law
bought a deal-you-can't-refuse at Wallymart, and couldn't find a
replacement battery a mere six weeks later.

Oh, and buy at least two of the largest memory cards available for your
camera....

I have been using SLRs for over 45 years and I have been all around the
world taking pictures and, for me, they are the ONLY choice if you are
serious about photography. As my tag line shows I am currently using a
Pentax DSLR and it takes really great pictures (and I have a great set
of lenses for it, some are over 30 years old and still work on my newest
camera). I totally disagree with "Wolf K" that a "point'n'shoot camera
set at the highest resolution these days does nearly as good a job as a
DSLR". You just don't have the control with a point'n'shoot camera and
I have yet to find one that has a really decent lens. Also, it is not
true that the main advantage of a DSLR is that it can shoot in RAW
format. Other (non DSLRs) have that feature too and with the high
resolution that news cameras are capable of RAW is not needed unless you
are doing professional photography. I do agree with Wolf about
batteries. Get something that uses AA batteries and the best
rechargeable AAs that I found are the new Hybrid ones that several
vendors now make. I also disagree about getting the largest memory
cards available for your camera. For the money, 1 or 2 GB cards are a
MUCH better deal than the higher capacity cards, and, for me, I can keep
things better organized with "smaller" memory cards.

I don't have any specific brand recommendations on DSLRs. All of the
newer ones are very good but I would read the online reviews of the ones
you are considering to make sure it has all the features you want. As
others have recommended in this thread, I HIGHLY recommend a local
dealer and not the "Wal*Mart" type of store where the people don't
really know much about what they are selling.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL