Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default broadcast spreader repair

wrote in message
End of last fall season I acquired a used Scotts broadcast spreader
(at the curb on trash day). The rotating mechanism is corroded and
hard to turn. Yesterday I decided it's time to work on it and see if I
can get it to working condition again. I lubed all rotating joints and
the gear. It's at the point where I think the problem is at the hopper
where the driveshaft and the plastic meet and penetrating oil can't
(or hasn't) get in there. I gave it a brief try but didn't want to
force anything. Looks like there is a rolled pin and a collar with a
set screw. I lightly punched the pin and tried to unscrew the set
screw but neither budged. Anyone even taken this thing apart?

You could try some very fine dry sand in the hopper and turn it to sand down the
rust in the hopper hole (Or - expand the hole) Maybe grab the shaft in the bin
with your drill chuck to work it loose.