Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Steve Coyle

Default Dumb plant questions

Howdy folks,
In regards to this question:

| 1) Does lantana freeze?

When I was working at Howard nursery I noticed for the last few years
that every spring folks would tell me that their 'New Gold" and
'Silver Mound' lantanas had frozen out but the Lantana peruviana and
horrida were doing fine. As a result I warned people off those two new
cultivars.
Someone with more experience might comment but I got the impression
that 'New Gold' and 'Silver Mound' were two compact varieties that had
undergone extensive breeding to get the small shape and early
flowering and as in the case of a lot of breeding for compactness had
lost a degree of hardiness.

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com