Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default dog-poop?!?!

"Vastmasd" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Vastmasd" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:

you throw the poop under trees or hedges & let natures deconstruction
crew
take care of it. Yes, some nutrients from the poop may find their way
in
the water system, I have no way of knowing. The poop will have gone
through
a layer of mulch and earth on its way down however. It also takes a time
for
the poop to decompose so the plant feeding is from a nice slow
fertiliser.

I tend to differ. If you have cow manure then certainly place it on your
garden, horse manure contains seeds so I would recommend first placing
it
in your compost bin. If you exercise your dog their poo can contain
unforeseeably elements so it is best put in a plastic bag then placed in
your garbage bin.

I used to know a professional gardener who swore that dog poop was the
best
thing to fertilise lemon trees. Not tried it myself but given the regular
advice I hear about the six-pack beer fertiliser for lemon trees and the
planting of a passionfruit on top of a cow's liver, I'm not going to
discount his advice till I have tried it.

I haven't heard of the six-pack beer fertiliser for lemon trees

Find a willing male. Buy him a six-pack of beer and make sure he drinks the
lot in one sitting. When the inevitable happens, make sure he points Percy
at the soil around the base of the lemon tree. Standard advice on local
gardening shows round here is that this is the household male's last nightly
job (beer or no beer).

or the
planting of a passion fruit on top of a cow's liver, so I would be
interested to learn more about it. ;-)

Buy a cow's liver and then dig a hole, put the liver into it, cover it with
an inch or two of soil and then put in the passionfruit plant and backfill
around it.

At a previous address I had an above ground chook pen with a galvanised
iron floor that could accommodate up to 8 chooks and at the time I had
unlimited access to wood shavings from a local timber yard. I would place
wood shavings in the chook shed to let's say 2 foot thick and in addition
to feeding them pellets from a feeder I would throw in additional food
scraps and vegetable cuttings etc.

I grew up on a (free range) poultry farm and each year the sheds were dug
out by an old professional gardener (I earned pocket money holding the feed
bags while he shovelled the sh.. manure into them). After they were clean,
we got in a load of sawdust and spread it and then it waited till next year
when the old bloke came back to clean them and so the cycle repeated.

Getting back to lemon trees, periodically the chook shed needed to be
cleaned out and my lemon tree was the sole recipient. That lemon tree
produced magnificent lemons and the tree never needed additional
fertiliser.

Yep. I can believe that.

I'm not going to discount the advice of the professional gardener you once
knew either. ;-)

I walk my dogs daily in a park where dogs are permitted to walk off lead
and also swim in sal****er which I think helps to keep them clean and free
of fleas. Of course the park is frequented by many other dogs and the
owners don't always pick up when walking their dogs, so my dogs are likely
to pick up various types of worm infections.

I treat my dogs on the first day of the month with tablets claimed to
eradicate heartworm, roundworm, whipworm, hookworm and tapeworm.

Any hydatids where you are? I live in an area which is the world's hydatids
capital. Filthy, filthy disease.

Because I place my pets droppings in the garbage bin I believe that
reduces
the chances of my dogs being re-infected with worms they might have picked
up in the previous Month. So I believe I am reducing the chances of them
being re infected from their own droppings.

In view of the bulk of materials that can safely be added to your compost
bin or garden and the smaller quantity of dog poop that is probably
available and with dubious value for your garden, the final question I
would ask, is dog poop a valuable contribution to your garden or should
you
put it in the garbage bin or just flush it down the dunny.

That is one of those 'it depends' situations. In suburbia, I wouldn't use it
at all (with the exception perhaps of that lemon I want to experiment on [if
I could get one to survive]) But, having written that, I live on a farm,
don't have to walk my dogs and I never saw any dog poop until we 'inherited'
a Cavalier King Charles Spanial. This dog came to us from a small
retirement house with a miniscule 'garden' (Hah!) and so thought he had to
poop right at the base of the main entry to the house. His poops are put
into a metal bucket and taken to the tip. The other dogs still poop in the
bushes and I never see their droppings.