Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Terry Horton

Default My current plant list

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:21:50 -0600, (Joe Doe)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

What on the list is low care/no care? I ask because I have a near blank
canvas but only want to fill it with high bang for the buck stuff in terms
of floral beauty or foliage that needs minimal care.

'Minimal care' and 'no care' can yield vastly different results in a
110F Texas Augusta. :-) It's a pretty narrow range of plants that
can survive here with no care whatsoever.

Victor mentioned agave. I'd flesh that out to include the whole family
Agavaceae, especially the graceful and unarmed Nolinas. All are close
to indestructible short of bulldozing.

Prickly pear is tough, but who wants a boring old Opuntia? But how
about a red one?.. not red flowers, a head-turning reddish-purple all
over. Ask your nursery to order you an "Opuntia violacea var.
santa-rita" (not as hard-to-get as it sounds). We've got a very big
one growing in a very small pot on our back deck, and the extent of
care we give is to look at it. :-) Pic of this extraordinary Texas and
southwestern native he
http://eebweb.arizona.edu/grads/betsy/pp.html

*Lots* more options if you're willing to throw a little water on them
occasionally.... I especially like possumhaw for winter color,
possibly the best winter color we can plant. Possumhaws are
conspicuous along central Texas highways in winter, with ash white
trunks and branches covered in red berries. http://tinyurl.com/5d62.

Blank canvas,eh? I envy you, almost...