Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Tomatoes in greenhouses question

"Staycalm" wrote in message

I was just wondering is there anyone who is able to grow tomatoes in a cool
climate nearly all year?
How hard would it be to have a greenhouse of some sort over the garden
bed?

Not at all hard (think something as simple as star pickets, 2" plastic
polypipe bent in an arch and heavy duty plastic), but the thing would be to
keep the temps up overnight. I live where it gets down to about -9 and I
have doen a number of things like using hay bales with old windows on top to
get things off to an early start in spring, but to stop the cold 'dropping'
on a tomato from the top of the 'greenhouse would be a problem. It would
need some form of heating and unless that is easy, I know I wouldn't do it.