Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default FAO Billy & Charlie

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:32:08 -0700, Billy wrote:

I'll be lucky if I can grow enough garnish for my meals. I can't support
me, much less the other four that would count on me. I think I need to
cut me some firewood and plant fruit trees, but this was nearly a climax
forest, so that feels weird. But still, if I can cover a couple of
possums, leave a little for the deer, and maybe plant a walnut tree for
the squirrels, what the hell.
Typically, we would get plucked slowly, like the frog sitting in the
boiling water, but I think Shrub and his gang has really screwed up and
the economy has gotten away from them. I hope I'm wrong.

Damn!

Well, lemme tell ya', Bill, I count myself fortunate to have made your
acquaintence.

Perhaps it's my early fundamentalist upbringing, but I see doom on all
sides. We both know the history and we both know human nature and we
both know the state of the nest we live in and by all accounts, we seem
to be caught between the proverbial hard things. It isn't looking
good. Most people on this group have tuned us out or regard us as old
fools and cranks or worse. Such is life.
(snip)
So there you have it. What? Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we
die? Perhaps. I have no hope for solutions. As Carolyn Bakers says,
"There are no solutions, but there are myriad options." Think about
that.

Think outside the box is definitely called for, whether that box is our
coffin or our planet. Most people I know, run to work, run home, do
house work, cook dinner, help the kids with their homework, zone out for
a few minutes with their significant other in front of the TV and then
go to bed for six and a half to seven hours sleep. Read a book or
newspaper from cover to cover is pretty much out of the question. We get
our news from the media which is owned by the same hinderbinders who
have gotten us into the present mess and it doesn't suit their interests
to make it all clear to us.

I know that you and I could have this conversation telepathically over a
cup of coffee without without bothering the good posters of "wrecked
gardens (edible)", but like a passenger in a car, if you see another car
coming, you feel obliged to mention it to the driver, no matter how much
it irritates him.

I enjoyed your quote from St. Molly, lord I miss that girl. I had just
been thinking of it but I couldn't find it and now here it is:-)

Best I could do was I.F. Stone:

"The only kinds of fights worth fighting are those you are going to
lose, because somebody has to fight them and lose and lose and lose
until someday, somebody who believes as you do wins. In order for
somebody to win an important, major fight 100 years hence, a lot of
other people have got to be willing - for the sheer fun and joy of it -
to go right ahead and fight, knowing you're going to lose. You mustn't
feel like a martyr. You've got to enjoy it.
- I. F. Stone

Keep he faith.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/