Old 05-04-2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Pine Tree Problem

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

One thing that may help is that evergreens like the soil to be somewhat
acidic.
You
can check this with a simple PH testor, or you can simply add something
like
Miracle Grow for Evergreens, which will sweeten up the soil.

Sherwin

Small correction to my last posting. Sweet soil usually conotates
alkaline
soil,

whereas sour soil is related to acidic. It's all semantics, but
getting
the soil
be more acidic than basic is the important thing.

Sherwin

Acidic (below pH 7) is sour. Basic (above pH 7) is bitter. Sweet is
around pH 7. Damn, don't your raggedy, bigoted ass know nothin', Doo?
--

Billy

I'm impressed by your knowledge of the pH scale. If I hadn't pointed out
this
mistake, I doubt if you would have even noticed.

At least I try to correct my mistakes. You on the other hand are
always
looking
for an opportunity to score points. How juvenile.

Sherwin

Amusing, coming from someone of your limited awareness. If you wake-up
for a moment you will notice that I said "Basic (above pH 7) [soil] is
bitter. You state that "Sweet soil usually conotates alkaline soil,".

I guess I shouldn't blame you for taking your dubious scientific
knowledge from gardening sites.

http://www.gardenterms.com/sweet_soil.htm
Sweet Soil
An old fashioned term used to describe limy soil, that with a high level
of alkaline and a low level of acid. The pH of 4 indicates slightly
alkaline soil and the pH of 6 indicates soil that is very alkaline.

In the real world it goes:

alkaline:
having the properties of an alkali, or containing alkali; having a pH
greater than 7. Often contrasted with acid or acidic ; compare with
basic .

http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/...roperties.html
Base Property #1. The word "base" has a more complex history (see below)
and its name is not related to taste. All bases taste bitter. Mustard
tastes bitter. Many medicines, cough syrup is one, taste bitter. This is
the reason cough syrups are advertised as having a "great grape taste."
The taste is added in order to cover the bitterness of the active
ingredient in cough syrup.

Billy Goat Gruff at your service. You sure you're not a troll?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/