Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default FAO Billy & Charlie

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

I'll be lucky if I can grow enough garnish for my meals. I
can't support me, much less the other four that would count
on me. I think I need to cut me some firewood and plant
fruit trees, but this was nearly a climax forest, so that
feels weird. But still, if I can cover a couple of possums,
leave a little for the deer, and maybe plant a walnut tree
for the squirrels, what the hell.

squirrels prefer hickory, actually. they only go for my
walnuts if i leave the box outside after i take the hulls off.
however, in the 9 autumns i've been here & with a few dozen
hickories, i've only managed to score *one* nut for myself.
the squirrels eat them off the trees. almost all i ever see
are the hulls & a bit of shell
where are you that you have almost climax forest? i have
pasture gone to pine to hardwood over the past 70 years (this
place was a grain mill in the 1800s, then a dairy until the
30s. then it became a Boston professor's summer home until the
mid-60s, when it was reformed into a small sheep & maple syrup
producing farm). i wouldn't call it climax, even though most
of the softwood is gone.

Typically, we would get plucked slowly, like the frog
sitting in the boiling water, but I think Shrub and his
gang has really screwed up and the economy has gotten away
from them. I hope I'm wrong.

there is already a recession, no matter how much the gub'mint
is loathe to say the "r" word. i think it will get worse
before it gets better & i can see the next president in a
really bad position... i am hopeful there will not be a
depression, but i would not rule it out.
i'm trying to decide if i should pay off my mortgage, so i
will be clear in that event. i'm also trying to decide if i
should buy more adjacent land, to aid in self-sufficiency.
this house was built before modern 'conveniences' & it can
work without them if needed. i consider myself lucky in that
regard at least.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair