Old 05-04-2008, 11:14 PM posted to aus.gardens
Warren Warren is offline

Default Tomatoes in greenhouses question

On Apr 4, 6:56*pm, "Staycalm" wrote:
I was just wondering is there anyone who is able to grow tomatoes in a cool
climate nearly all year?
How hard would it be to have a greenhouse of some sort over the garden bed?

This very idea has always been a facination to me however I have never
put it into practice.. I have seen on Landline [abc tv] stories about
a tomatoe grower near coffs harbour in nsw. He has a huge green house
and grows hydroponic tomatoes entirely on recycled water. The details
are not known to me, like quality of the fruit quantity or how many
months per year he produces. My limited knowledge about hydroponics
tells me that inferior qualtity fruit is produced by this method,
although many will argue this. As far as how hard would it be to cover
the garden...It would be no harder than building a big shed or house
and any amount of area could be covered...in theory.

I personaly think that the best qualtity fruits and veg are grown in
the ground in the sunshine in the correct season, although where I
live, many things grow all year anyway as cold is not very often, we
have more trouble with heat...which causes lettuce to bolt. Tomatoes
are easy to grow here and if not kept an eye on they can run wild.

Have a go, that's usualy the best way to see how things work, or not.

Cheers, Warren