Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 16:22:29 EDT, Pond Addict wrote:

Hi All,

I found a fish behind a plant today, and it's one of my largest
Comets. It looks pretty bad.

I've posted images he

http://homepage.mac.com/pondstuff/PhotoAlbum1.html
They're really large images, so they're slow to download, but you can
keep clicking on them to zoom in.

I only have a 10 gallon tank that I can quarantine this fish in. Is
the stress of moving it to that alone going to kill it? I've got it
set up with .02% salt and good water.

What should I try? I'm concerned about a salt dip because it may just
be too much for it. The fish is very lethargic, but it does splash
about and such when I netted it. This was one of my best fish. Any
help is appreciated.
Dave

I got a jump on this one, as Dave e-mailed me directly: I replied

If moving it does kill it, it was really weak, nothing would have saved it.
So yes, move it, use pond water and add the salt, a bit at a time.

I can see why you want to save it, gorgeous fish. Any possibility that this
is spawn damage? Have you seen chasing going on in the pond?

Dave responded that it could very well be spawning, there is some foam
around the waterfall, and this fish has been a favorite chasee in the past.
So he's currently going with the aquarium, salt and waiting. Hopefully all
this little gal needs is some rest. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us