Old 22-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] soil

In a message dated 2/21/2003 7:12:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

The one thing that struck me was his soil. He
uses 100% pumice. He sifts the fines and filters out larger than 1/4
inch.

A couple of things true about soil among Bonsai folks. Every one has
an opinion and a favorite soil and choice of soil depends upon species and
cultural conditions. I would think pumice would require frequent watering
and the right fertilizer. What is the pH of pumice as it breaks down? What
you grow and how you grow it should determine your soil, not what another
grower uses, although that can be your starting point.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++