Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
paghat[_2_] paghat[_2_] is offline

Default Growing ivy or roses over a metal shed?

In article
,
wrote:

Hi,

I am new at gardening and I want to get a new clean looking metal shed
(because cheaper than wood and plastic sheds).

My family want me to buy an expensive kind of barn or shed but they
just spend my money, they don't earn it. I am the one who works hard.

So, I will get a metal shed

But it will not have atmosphere. How can I make it look pretty in
winter and summer?

If it looks good and has atmosphere, my family will get out of my hair
too.

Can I grow something over it or do you have other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Gene

Nothing you ever do will stop the metal shed from looking like the spare
bedroom for trailer trash, or one gigantic garbage can in your yard. One
way or another, go for the wooden shed. It's frankly not all that hard to
build one from scratch out of salvaged boards. There's often a place at
big industrial plants that sell or even give away for free salvage
material like the big wooden boxes machinery is shipped in. With such wood
you could build a shed for next to free (even downloading free shed plans
off the net) then invest in nothing but the price of cedar shingles to
turn it from a patchwork of recycled wood into something that looks like a
cedar cabin.

But if you want it ready made, shop around. Some of them are amazingly
inexpensive, especially the kits you put together yourself. You'll never
find the best OR the cheapest at Home Depot or Lowes. What a shed is made
of also affects price. Red cedar has gotten expensive, but white cedar,
pine, or spruce can be a lot cheaper, just needing a good preservative
oiling as preservative and bring out the colors and patterns in the wood
nicely, or painting it like a miniature Victorian pink-lady.

When you got what you want, then plant climbing roses on THAT and it'll
always look good. You can landscape around it and make it a feature of a
garden, like a little cottage, instead of an unsightly horror you already
wish vines could hide.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website: