Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Growing ivy or roses over a metal shed?

On 4/5/2008 8:40 PM, wrote:
Hi,

I am new at gardening and I want to get a new clean looking metal shed
(because cheaper than wood and plastic sheds).

My family want me to buy an expensive kind of barn or shed but they
just spend my money, they don't earn it. I am the one who works hard.

So, I will get a metal shed

But it will not have atmosphere. How can I make it look pretty in
winter and summer?

If it looks good and has atmosphere, my family will get out of my hair
too.

Can I grow something over it or do you have other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Gene

Where do you live. Climate makes a lot of difference.

For year round coverage, try English ivy (Hedera helix).

My curbside mailbox is a plain country box, galvenized steel on a white
PVC post. I have dwarf English ivy (H. helix 'Hahn's') covering it.
Only the door is visible. The post and box are otherwise completely
hidden by the ivy.

For a shed, you might try the full size H. helix. It will take about
three years to cover (one year for the roots to get established and two
years to grow).

You might also consider Bougainvillea or creeping fig (Ficus pumila).
Both grow faster than ivy. The Bougainvillea will look great while it's
in bloom, and its thorns will keep prowlers away.

If you carefully drape chicken wire over the shed, you can cover it with
star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides). It won't cling to the shed
itself but will twine itself on the mesh.

All of these, however, are for climates where there is no freezing
weather and only light night-time frosts in the winter. The ivy and
star jasmine might be a bit more hardy.

Roses -- even climbers -- would have to be attached to the shed or even
to mesh. The others will cover without you having to attach them. If
you get freezing weather in the winter, roses lose their leaves.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean