Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Bargain?

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Pete C" contains these words:

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Pete C" contains these
words:

Mooching round B & Q just now to get some grass seed, I spotted a
clearance buy. A dragon tree, bicolour, green with red edges. It's
40cm tall, and looking very healthy. Price....................?
Just £1.98!! However, me and houseplants have never got on, so any
tips to stop me murdering it would
be nice. Ta

If it was mine, I'd keep it in a room where there is plenty of light
- but not in direct sunlight. I'd put it in a container (which was
a bit larger than the pot the plant is in) with pebbles in the
bottom, and water it regularly (once a week if I remembered), with
a liquid feed every now and again, probably once a month, if I
remembered.

Thanks Anne.I intend to repot tomorrow. Googling leaves me confused.
Water/keep dryish. feed/don't feed.
Do you speak from experience?

I've never owned a Dracaena, but that's what I'd do if I had one! ;-)

Most plants like quite like to be above the water in whatever (outer)
container they're in. Most of them benefit from the evaporation of
the water.

I feed my houseplants a very weak fertiliser, when I remember, which
is usually around the beginning of the month. Makes life easier, if
I have some kind of a routine.

More plants die from over-watering than anything else, I reckon,
so never let them get water-logged.

Oh, before I forget to ask - why are you going to repot it?

It's in a 10 cm pot atm, doesn't look 'right', so will repot in a 16 or 16
cm pot.
--
Pete C
London UK