Old 06-04-2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Growing ivy or roses over a metal shed?

wrote in

oups.com:

I am new at gardening and I want to get a new clean looking
metal shed (because cheaper than wood and plastic sheds).

there is a reason metal sheds are cheaper.

My family want me to buy an expensive kind of barn or shed
but they just spend my money, they don't earn it. I am the
one who works hard.
So, I will get a metal shed

you need to think this through, and listen to your family.
maybe you're the one who works hard, but buying a metal shed
is not working smart.
metal sheds rust. the doors jam because they warp. the roof
will collapse from a minor snowload. they're too hot in the
summer & too cold in the winter.
buy or build a wooden shed. you, and your family will be much
happier for much longer than if you go with a cheap metal shed
that you will need to replace in 3 years (along with anything
stored in it)
i just bought a 10' x 12' shed, with 8x8 beams & a 3'
overhang by the doors, constructed for me, for just over
$2000. it would have been less if i bought it as a kit, but i
needed it in a hurry for a sick animal shelter.
yes, that's more than a metal shed, but it'll still be in use
25 years from now, when a metal shed (and 8 of it's sucessors)
would be a pile of dust.

But it will not have atmosphere. How can I make it look
pretty in winter and summer?

there's no way to make a metal shed "look pretty". they're
ugly & get uglier rapidly.

If it looks good and has atmosphere, my family will get out
of my hair too.

until they have to pick out the ruins of everything stored
there when it collapses & you have to listen to a corous of
"we told you so!"

Can I grow something over it or do you have other ideas?

get a real shed, or build it yourself. in most places, if it
doesn't have a foundation, it won't be taxed. even your metal
shed will need a cement slab foundation. a wood shed can be a
pole building, without a foundation.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair