Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] keperman@gmail.com is offline

Default Organic Gardening...

On Mar 31, 8:58 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

fmervin wrote:
Thanks Billy, really useful

What does "determinate" mean? If I do plant a tiny tim plant, do I have
to re-plant it every year?

"Determinante" means that the plant will grow like a . . . ah . . ,
shrub. It shouldn't need support. Typically "determinante" tomatoes will
set their fruit all at once (a point contested by at least one poster to
rec.gardens.edible) and then vegetate, until killed by the lower
temperatures of fall and winter. "Indeterminante" tomatoes grow like
vines, need support, and have a long harvest season. In temperate
climates, tomatoes are annuals, although they may be perennials in more
tropical climes.

Currently, I have put a few tomatoseedsin a seeding tray (couple of
days now). Do you know how often I need to water the tray?

Water as the surface soil "starts" to look dry. Hope fully your seed
tray drains so the the plants aren't in contact with standing water (an
invitation to mold). Also once I
have seedlings, how do I transfer them, is there any distance I have to
maintain when replanting the seedlings? I plan to grow them in pots
since I don't have enough space

Figure that the root system will be as big as the fruit bearing part of
the plant, Tiny Tim tomato plants are about 12" tall (so I'm told) and
look to be about 8" wide = .35 gal. pot. This would be your minimum size
pot. The larger the pot, the potentially larger the plant. I'd look in
the two to three gallon range and maybe even try a five gallon pot.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_To_Grow_Tomatoes_in_a_Container

Thanks for all your help so far, really good

Don't forget Google.

Good luck.
--

Billy