Old 06-04-2008, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Blow it! Newt appears!

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:52:03 +0100, K wrote:

Baal writes
Our problem is that we cannot encourage frogs to our pond!

Should I pinch some frogspawn and artificially inseminate? ;-)

Ideally, no, because of the risk of spreading disease, or so the usual
advice runs.

If the spawn is from somewhere close, then I can't see that'd be a
problem - but if there were breeding frogs close by, you'd expect them
to have found their way to your pond.

They should find their way on their own so they have a network of
local ponds to fall back on if one fails or is lost.

Are you sure you're providing everything they need? In particular, look
at the immediate surroundings of the pond - do you have enough dampish
vegetation for foraging?

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

--