Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default FAO Billy & Charlie

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

In article ,
enigma wrote:
did you get a drop spindle?

No, I want to finish my first read through of the book
first. Presently I'm on a treadmill trying to get loaned
books back to the library before their due dates or wait at
least a month to get them back. Lord, I just looked at my
library account, I'm up next on four books and I've moved
up from 96th to 38th on "In Defense of Food".

geez! i could mail you mine & get it there ( & back) before
you get to the top of the list!

Drop spindles are good for stress reduction, right? I think
I've re-thought my position on the drop spindle. What do I
need to look for and what should I pay, or, simpler, which
one should I buy (not that I will)?

once you get them figured out, yes. until you hit that point
they can be pretty aggravating
i could send you a sample bottom whorl spindle to try out.
i've been meaning to try a top whorl myself to see what the
difference is (most likely it'll mean i need more spindles).
otherwise, look for a nice 2-2.5 ounce spindle. spin it
between your fingers to check the balance. if it's wobbly, you
don't want it.

I only lost one plant out of my damp-off scare. They are
all out side now, waiting for a little more growth before
going into the garden. Meanwhile I have three more
germination trays loaded, one of which (the warm weather
plants is starting to sprout with basil, squash, melons,
peppers and all that good stuff. A 24-cell tray of shrub
beans got put under our water bed because it is always warm
there. Each morning is like a birthday, in my
self-composting study, with new little green presents
popping up on the heat pad and under the grow lights.

i'm resisting starting seeds. while daytime temps are hitting
the 40s now, it's still freezing at night (perfect sugaring
weather!). i do have crocus & snowdrops blooming. no
dandelions yet. Boo did find a salamander (red backed) this
morning, so spring *is* coming.

our last frost date is near the end of May.

Well I'd better get to it. Hoping to seed some parsnips to
day and prep a bed for carrots and some companion plants
(!!?).

i plant dill with my carrots. i plant both pretty thickly
because i need extra for the black swallowtail caterpillers.
and i stick lemon marigolds where ever i can fit them in.
lee

Guess you folks know of Rodale's take on companion plantings.

Bill

http://www.seedsofchange.com/enewsle...n_planting.asp

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA