Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default pondscaping a dream pond

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 13:47:52 EDT, kathy wrote:

I would put together a series of streams and pools and bogs
and it would be a wildlife pond so that means moving someplace
where wildlife can walk in and out of our yard. I'd build decks
here and there, some with shade, for viewing. Lots of bird
feeders and squirrel feeders and salt licks and hidden
brushy areas and trees. I'd have a yearly cleanup with my
*free* labor. I'd also live in an area so the water could stay
fairly open during the winter - like it usually is here except
for the occasional COLD winter like we had (having)
this year.

k :-)

And you better add, far enough from neighbors that move out into the wild,
yet expect the wild to move away or at least, not make noise.

You'll have to do research on plants deer hate. My sister has been doing
quite the dance on keeping the deer out of her property. One area is okay
where she has those electrical posts, but others she's been buying a lot of
wire fencing. That can't be fun. This was a heavy snow year for them also
and about a 50 deer herd came out of the hills. Many of the neighbors'
yards have been stripped clean as it is a young neighborhood and the bushes
& trees had not grown tall enough. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us