Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

How's the fish today? ~ jan
Unfortunately, it's evasive.

I tried to catch it various times yesterday--even trying to lure it
with food, but it was too clever for me or my net was too slow. I
tried again last night and actually got in the pond with enough
outside light on to see it swimming around and I almost got it once.
That one miss was enough for it to learn to stay in the center of the
pond the rest of the time I was out there. I eventually figured that
since I was going to be out cleaning up the pond today that I'd try to
get it today instead. My fish tend to be leery of things on the shore
but if you get in the water with them, they come right up. Some kind
of misguided feeling of security or overwhelming curiosity I guess.

That fish really swam around quite a bit after I removed it from
behind the plant yesterday. I wonder if it had somehow become stuck
back there and some of its damage had come about as a result of that.

Today, I was out there at noon and not one fish was to be seen. It was
a heavily overcast day, and I think that had a lot to do with it. By
2:00 they started appearing and they were everywhere by 3:00. However,
I didn't see that particular fish. I'd be more concerned about that if
all of the other fish hadn't gotten such a late start on the day. I
have a feeling it was down under the big rock resting, rather than
dead somewhere because it was actually behaving pretty well yesterday
afternoon and last night.

The part of the pond that contains the fish is about 20' x 25' with a
6' drop in the middle, so it's tough to catch them unless they're
really doing badly or they venture into the shallow water (which is
about a 2' edge around it). And for better or worse, they have some
good hiding spots.

Anyway, I'll let you know once I know more, but so far that one's
being evasive. Oh, and from what I saw last night, the fish are
definitely mating.

Dave