Old 07-04-2008, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default enticements for bees

On Apr 5, 10:54 am, "clarissa" wrote:
Hi to all gardeners Does anyone have any suggestions on how to entice bees
to increase their numbers? What flowers do they particularly like? Do
those little bee houses actually work? I no longer use insecticides -
except on rare occasions when a prized plant is about to succumb - and then
only such specific things as bacillus thuringensis for caterpillers and
spray only that particular spot where the nasties are. Could even this small
amount of spray be too much for the bees? I even dug up all the roses that
seemed to have black spot all the time. I have a lot of flowers in summer
and despite being in my garden everyday for a couple of hours, I only see
about 5 bees a summer. Can home gardens help bees in some way or has the
problem originated in some area other than than residential yards? Thanks
for any suggestions
Clarissa Vancouver BC

Clarissa
Some things that the bees love in my garden are
Bottlebrush, the red kind
Western Redbud
Viburnum tinus
Fruit trees, peach, apricot, almond