Old 07-04-2008, 06:10 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mary[_11_] Mary[_11_] is offline

Default not-so-dead pecan tree

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
news
"Mary" wrote in message ...

"Doug Lassiter" wrote in message
There is a 30 foot pecan tree out back in the creek area that has not
leafed out. Everyone else (American elm, cedar elm, cottonwood, etc.)
out there is in full green. All the other pecans in the area have been
well leafed out for weeks. I was figuring that this particular guy
just up and died over the winter, and was getting ready to get out the
chain saw. But I took the binoculars out there and, sure enough, there
are little green buds just opening up on the ends of the branches.

I've never really noticed this happening in this particular tree,
which has otherwise been reasonably healthy. I know that pecans leaf
out late, but is there really that much variation in when pecans put
out their leaves? Is it a matter of variety, or perhaps location?

There are different types of Pecans, I have two large trees and one is
about 3-4 weeks behind the other.
Also Pecans are the last to leaf out, most are just starting too.

Know its not pecan, but, what about fruit trees like lemon for instance?
When should the leaves be forming on those?

Lemon is out. But they are not planted in the ground in Austin.
dont know about the other fruit trees.