Old 07-04-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default The Isle of Wight

On 7 Apr, 17:23, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in ...

In message , Granity
writes

'Mike';782900 Wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in

One shouldn't draw conclusions on the occurrence of an April snowfall
this year (they used to be more common) any more than one should draw
conclusions from April last year shattering the CET temperature
records.
One would be more justified in drawing conclusions from the frequency
of
April snowfalls, but even then it is wiser to take all the evidence
into
account, rather than a single surrogate.

One shouldn't confuse weather with climate.
--

Martin

But...........in the UK we dont have climate just weather.

I remember when I was young the strange weather was blamed on the
Atom
bomb, then neucular tests, then the rockets punching holes in the
ozone layer.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I forgot about those "Excuses"! I wonder what it will be when "Global
Warming" has died its death!!

Mike

.

It is generally accepted that in the Roman period it was warmer in
Britain than it is now, then we had the Mediaeval warming period circa
1100 AD. Why would we not expect to have a naturally occurring warming
period now?

We did. It is responsible for about one third of the global temperature
rise over the last 50 years. (There's a weak consensus that in the absence
of anthropogenic forcings we would now be in a natural cooling trend.)

The relevant issue is not whether it was warmer in Britain during the
Roman period or the Mediaeval Climate Optimum, but whether it was warmer
worldwide. It's generally accepted among climatologists that it was not.

I'd also suspect that the general acceptance of it being warmer in Britain
in those historical periods has been overtaken by the warming trend of the
last 50 years. However, regardless of whether it has been conclusively
shown that the current trend has exceeded the historical natural
variability, the problem is not so much the past rise - we can live with
that - but the future rise. Because of timelags in the system - for
example it takes time for the oceans to warm up in response to the
increased greenhouse effect - there is a fair bit of warming in the
pipeline even if greenhouse gases were immediately stabilised. But
greenhouse gas emissions are continuing apace, which means that even more
warming can be expected.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

and you think 'man' is responsible?

Stewart, I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no ......

Father Christmas
Tooth Fairy
Loch Ness Monster
etc
etc
etc

For crying out loud man, "Global �Warming" is the latest fad, rather like
the Hoola Hoop and Rubik Cube were a few years ago

Mike.
Living in the real world

--www.rneba.org.uk. The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Association.
'THE' Association to find your ex-Greenie mess mates.- Hide quoted text -

Are you sure that the Loch Ness monster hasn't died out because of
global warming?

As for the Romans growing grapes to make wine in the North of England,
it could be that it wasn't a change of temp. that stoped this
practice, just more Ale and beer being drunk and peoples taste for
wine becoming more refined so that the old varieties died out
It's much easier to grow grain and brew a drink from it, than to grow
vines and to make wine.
Though the monastries grew vines for wine making till the disalution
of the monastries.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries